Epidemiology Paper – Part One: Descriptive Epidemiology
The epidemiology paper is a practice immersion assignment designed to be completed in three sections, this is part one of the assignment. Learners are required to discuss the role of descriptive epidemiology in nursing science and apply descriptive epidemiology to public health practices.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
· This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
· Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
· This assignment requires that support your position by referencing six to eight scholarly resources. At least three of your supporting references must be from scholarly sources other than the assigned readings.
Write a 1,250–1,500-word paper discussing the role of descriptive epidemiology in nursing science. Include the following:
1. Explain the concept of descriptive epidemiology using either a theoretical or conceptual understanding of a specific condition to identify patterns (e.g., distribution of data, data collection, condition or distribution of the data, and determinants in the relationship to disease populations).
2. Provide a contemporary example of how descriptive epidemiology is applied in public health nursing.
3. Define health disparity and how it occurs, and what factors contribute to it in an at-risk population.