- a) Was the health practitioner able to achieve ‘mutual understanding’ or a therapeutic connection/relationship with the patient/client?
- b) Was a patient/client-centred approach demonstrated?
- c) Did you see empathy, care and compassion, genuineness and respect demonstrated?
- d) How congruent was the body language?
- e) Which of the following communication skills did you see being utilised well, poorly or not at all – open and closed questions, reflection of feeling, paraphrasing of content, summarising, and giving advice or information? (In other words were there a range of skills used to effectively communicate with the patient/client?)
- f) Were there any ‘noise’ barriers (physical, psychological, semantic, and physiological) which may have potentially impacted on the communication in this scenario?
- g)If you were the health professional in this scenario is there anything you would have done differently? If so, what, and why? (Make sure that any recommendation you make is supported by the evidence provided in the effective communication literature).
- h) Is there anything you would have done differently if there had been a need to demonstrate cultural sensitivity? (Make sure that any recommendation you make is supported by the evidence provided in the effective communication literature).
- i) Briefly discuss one thing you learnt about communication more generally within a health context that you would need to be mindful of in future practice.