Upon successful completion of this unit, and building upon the learning outcomes of you should be able to apply knowledge of Catholic Social Thought to
1. describe how the efforts of public, private, not-for-profit agencies, faith-based groups and you, as a professional, can result in the realisation of a more just global community.
2. Critically analyse the challenges with realising aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and especially globally.
3. Critique a global issue where shared responsibility for the common good is not being realized and propose ways of addressing this challenge.
On successful completion of this unit, you should have developed your abilityto:
GA1 demonstrate respect for the dignity of each individual and for human diversity
GA2 recognise your responsibility to the common good, the environment and society GA3 apply ethical perspectives in informed decision making
GA4 think critically and reflectively
GA5 demonstrate values, knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to the discipline and/or profession
GA6 solve problems in a variety of settings taking local and international perspectives into account
GA7 work both autonomously and collaboratively
GA8 locate, organise, analyse, synthesise and evaluate information
GA9 demonstrate effective communication in oral and written English language and visual media
GA10 utilise information and communication and other relevant technologies effectively
Description: prepare an A3 Digital Poster that describes how public, private, not-for-profit agencies and/or faith-based groups, and you, as a professional, can result in the realization of a more just global community.
Choose one of the organisations or agencies from the list below.
• Rotary (causes include health, education, economies, malnutrition, sanitation etc.)
• Global Giving (causes include health, education, environment, technology, legal protection, job skills, children)
• NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council)
• World Food Program
• Global Exploration for Educators Organization (education, arts and culture, “international understanding” etc.)
• Journeys in Education Inc. (Causes: arts and culture, cultural and ethnic Awareness, performing arts, etc.): focus on global awareness and understanding
• Be the Star You Are Inc. (global outreach programs and volunteers)
• Creative Commons
• Samaritan’s Purse
Description: choose o ne of the issues listed below and write a opinion editorial that critically analyses the challenges with realizing aspirations of the common good in your professional community, locally and especially globally.
• environmental pollution and global health (contexts: health, education, marketing, technology, workplace/government policies, law, business etc.)
• contaminated food and water (and disease)
• malnutrition (and disease)
• the harmful use of alcohol
• lack of classrooms
• excluding people with disabilities
• “internet experience addiction”
• failure to plan and implement solutions for diverse groups (contexts: health care, therapy, education, business, law etc.)
• dismissing the arts (or music)
• physical inactivity (e.g., and exercise)
• money laundering (contexts: accounting, law, finance, politics, business administration/practice, etc.)
• unfair tax (contexts: accounting, law, government/workplace policies, business administration/practice etc.)