You will integrate your knowledge and understanding of concepts and principles
related to evidence-based practice and contextualise this to an inconsistent
clinical practice that you have observed, or a clinical issue or local health need.
Specifically, you will define a problem, identify a need for change, and
demonstrate understanding of significance of the problem or issue to nursing
knowledge and practice reality.
1. Identify and discuss an inconsistent or little-known approach to clinical
practice, a clinical issue or local health need, or a controversial policy
that you wish to investigate, to determine whether it is based on
evidence, tradition or misconception (What is the problem?).
2. Summarise the context for the clinical practice or health policy you wish
3. Justify and support your rationale for selecting this area of concern to
investigate and identify a need for change (What is the significance of
the problem? Why do we need to do something about it?)
4. Then, express this area of concern as a searchable question using the
PICO (or other) format. Identify the domain in which your question fits
and the best design to answer the question.
5. Formulate a search strategy using relevant key search terms and search
for the best available evidence to answer your searchable question.
Attach a one-page printout of your search history as an appendix.
6. Identify five (5) – 10 (ten) research articles that represents the best
available evidence to address your question about the inconsistent/little
known practice, policy, or issue. For each article, identify its place on an
hierarchy of evidence (e.g. JBI, NHMRC). Attach a one-page evidence
summary table containing the relevant details from each article.
7. Justify and support your rationale for choosing each article, addressing
the PICO terms and question domain. Note: One of these articles MUST
be a systematic review or an evidence-based guideline that you will use
in part 2 of this assessment.