Short answer questions
- Describe historical development of contemporary wound management strategies. Identify two wound management strategies that have been introduced to care in the past 10 years.
- Identify and describe two professional organisations associated with wound management.
- Describe the timing and technique of wound specimen collection.
- Discuss laboratory results relating to wound infection and wound healing.
- Identify two bacterial microorganisms related to wound infection.
- Identify two fungal microorganisms related to wound infection.
- Describe each of the following types of wounds: surgical, pressure ulcer, venous ulcer, arterial ulcer, mixed ulcer, discharging, malignant, neuropathic ulceration, infected, burns, fistula and sinuses, skin graft and visceral.
- Identify one wound management strategy associated with visceral wounds
- Describe each of the following wound management techniques: wound cleansing, wound debridement, drains and drainage systems, doppler assessment, compression therapy, wound measurement, clinical photography and wound tracing.
Whilst on placement you are required to demonstrate wound care management on three (3) wounds; one simple, one complex, and one either simple or complex.
Complete the following case studies relating to EACH of these three (3) wounds. All responses must be supported with evidenced based practice.
Wound Care Management
- Identify the type of wound.
- Complete a wound chart used currently in an acute health facility or use attached form.
- Attach one of the organisations policies relating to the wound management utilised.
- Identify and discuss one community resource associated with the management of the wound.
- What health education would the client need relating to the wound? Include one educational resource you would be able to make reference to when providing this education.
- Describe the frequency of wound care required. Provide a rationale for this time frame.
- Discuss potential/ actual pain management utilised throughout wound care including medication time frames.
- Identify the wound management techniques utilised in the wound management plan
- Describe the primary and secondary wound products used. Provide rationale for selections including contemporary wound management strategies.
- Describe your holistic assessment of the client